Saturday, September 12, 2009

Batman Give-A-Show by Chad Valley!

batman_batprojectorgiveashow.JPG

You may not know this, but I collect the Kenner Give-A-Show projectors. They were produced from 1960 to sometime in the early 1980s. They were basically slide projectors, and came with cardboard strips (originally) that featured seven slides that told a simple story.

There were sets that included Superman, Spider-Man, Thor, the Fantastic Four, and Shazam, but none in the states featured Batman (well, there was one with the Super Powers Team, the renamed Super Friends, but I don't have that one in my collection yet).

In the UK, Chad Valley got the license to produce the Give-A-Show Projector, and their first few releases were almost the same as Kenner's, except that some slides were replaced with UK character slides. But after a while, Chad Valley produced their own original stuff... there was a Stingray set, a Doctor Who set... and then there was the Batman set pictured above.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll be able to afford to bid on this one when it comes up on eBay.

3 comments:

  1. Hi fellow fans there is one on ebay uk now...and i thought they were only things of fable unicorns...cheques in post etc im emptying my money box as we speak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip... I should've mentioned that I did get scans of the slides for this set, and I have them all converted to video and posted at the Give-A-Show Blog at http://giveashow.blogspot.com/search/label/Batman

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi this is the link to the projector http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360199415542&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

    ReplyDelete